What is Watauga?
Watauga Residential College is a student and faculty community that fosters creativity, thoughtfulness, and civic engagement through experiential, inquiry-based learning both in and out of the classroom. Watauga students live, share meals, and take classes together in a unique hillside residence hall on campus. Our curriculum and our community create an atmosphere of discovery, fostering awareness and understanding of local issues and of the connections between these and significant global issues. We blend academic accomplishments with an understanding of the responsibilities of community membership. Our interdisciplinary curriculum integrates academic, social, cultural, and residential experiences.
Would you like to learn more about Watauga?
We are hosting information sessions for interested students and parents. If you are wondering if Watauga is right for you or if you have committed and have additional questions, feel free to attend one of these recurring Zoom meetings.
Student sessions are Mondays at 5:30 PM and Wednesdays at 2:00 PM. To sign up for one of these, click here.
Parent sessions are designed specifically for parents (but students are also welcome). These are on Wednesdays at 6:00 PM. To sign up for the Wednesday evening sessions, click here.
So is Watauga right for you?
If you answer "Yes" to any of the questions below Watauga may be the right fit for you:
- Do you love to learn, especially when it challenges what you already know?
- Are you curious about other people, who they are, what they believe, and why they believe it?
- Do you want to explore your interests and ambitions with other students and faculty?
- Do you value having a close relationship with your classmates and professors?
- Are you interested in examining local and global issues, working to understand them, and proposing solutions for a better world?
- Do you want to be surrounded by a diverse and inclusive program that values academic excellence, service, leadership, creativity, and community?
- Do you want to be surrounded by people who are there to support you as a person and a student?
Schedule a Visit
For Spring 2021, we are unable to schedule in-person tours. Please contact us to set up a virtual class sit-in as well as get in contact with a current student who will share their experience in Watauga.
One of the best ways to determine whether or not Watauga will be a good home for you is to schedule a visit with us. We invite you to spend the day with one of our current students--go to class, visit our dorm, eat lunch, and talk with faculty. We recommend scheduling visits on Tuesdays or Thursdays for the full Watauga experience, but we are also able to a accommodate Mondays or Wednesdays. Schedule a visit by going to our Contact page.